The Coulson family
George William Coulson was born in 1874 in Thoresway, Lincolnshire.
The family moved to Market Rasen by 1881 census.
George set up his business in 1895 as a Joiner.
George and James H Codd formed a business and in the Kelly’s trade directory of 1900-
Coulson & Codd is listed as Builder & cabinet makers, 73 Waterloo Street.
1901 census, George is at home with his parents George and Mary and a servant. His father is listed as a Farm carpenter and he is listed as a Painter and decorator. They live at 73 Waterloo Road(Street). He was also the Undertaker and A Lay Preacher.
1904, George married Emma Abbott.
1906, James H Codd married Mary Jane Osborne at the Methodist Chapel in Market Rasen, he listed as a Master Builder.
1909, Coulson & Codd are listed as Builders at 32 Waterloo Street.
Advert in the 1909 Whittingham’s Compendium
1911 census – he is living alone at 31 Waterloo Street. Listed as a Joiner/builder. His wife Emma and 5-year-old son George are living with her parents in Osgodby. Cyril W is born 1912, followed by two girls, Lena and Grace.
James H Codd and his wife and daughter are living at 28 Waterloo Street.
1914 G.W Coulson joiner is living in Waterloo Street. Coulson & Codd. J H Codd is living in Waterloo Street. The last listing of Coulson & Codd.
1914 Whittingham’s Compendium Almanack listed Mr G W Coulson as one of the four Sunday School Superintendents with the Primitive Methodist Church.
1919 Kelly’s directory-listed GW Coulson as a Wheelwright at 32 Waterloo Street.
1933, Cyril Coulson open his business as a Painter & Decorator.
1939 census; the family are living in Jameson Bridge Street.
George senior a Joiner, his wife Emma and 3 of the four children. George an Engineer, Cyril is a Painter & decorator, and Grace. Their sister Lena was in Scunthorpe, a Domestic servant to a Doctor.
George junior and Cyril were both in A.R.P Ambulance Drivers, they had been trained by the St John’s and Red Cross.
James and Mary Jane Codd are living at Laurel Cottage, Mill Road, he is listed as a Journeyman Joiner.
During the war Cyril W Coulson is listed at his parents address in Jameson Bridge Street.
Albert H Codd is listed at his parents address Laurel Cottage, Mill Road.
1941, Cyril married Phyllis England in Burgh-upon-Bain, and their son Ralph was born in 1943.
George W Coulson died in 1942.
Cyril and Phyllis opened the first wallpaper shop in Rasen in 1947, the shop was in Queen Street.
1956 receipt for goods
1957, Cyril’s son Ralph joined the business as an Apprentice.
In the early 1960s the firm moved to 32 Queen Street.
1965 Market Rasen Official Guide advert for C.W.Coulson
advert see main page
1968 Yellow Pages
CW Coulson Partners, 34 Queen Street, No 3296 Painters.
1980, sometime during the Summer Phyllis died.
The painting and decorating shop was sold to Arthur Linton who a year later sold it to Roger Thwaites.
The furniture side of the shop extended and they had showroom in Queen Street until 1987. Ralph moved the business back to Waterloo Street were it had all started with his Grandfather. 1995, Ralph retired and A W Rhoades Saddlery moved in.
2005, Cyril died on 31st July, he had been living in Middle Rasen.