Stoneware Storage Jars

Stoneware Storage jars come in different sizes and shapes. Different colours and some are in baskets. They were used in Rasen by the Chemists and Druggist, the Pub landlords and wine and spirit merchants, several date back to the 1860s.

RHS has 9 jars in their collection.

There are local collectors with wonderful exhibits of different jars. Peter Spilman has agreed to RHS printing a photograph of one of his collection.

Over the next few month, the Society’s jars will be added to the website.

George TITLEY Wine & Spirit Merchant, Market Rasen.

Trading in Market Rasen between 1863-1883, when Titley’s Brewery went into liquidation.

Peter Spilman’s stone jar

George son of John Titley, came to Market Rasen in 1862/3, he opened up the Titley Brewery at the end of John Street. He and his wife and family lived in the house next door. There was an office and a works yard.

1871 census, George, aged 38 and his wife Elizabeth, 2 daughters and 1 son, a Governess, a Nurse, a Domestic servant and a Page boy. All living in John Street. He is listed as a Brewer and Malster.

1881 census, George now listed as a Corn merchant with Elizabeth and 7 children, his mother-in-law and 1 servant. The Brewery goes into liquidation in 1883, and the family move to Radford.