More details of the interesting buildings and a timeline of Middle Rasen
School – Built in 1874 for 120 pupils, open 5.10.1874 with 63 pupils. Average attendance (1885) 90. In1885 Thomas J Thompson is master, School board 1878-AA Padley clerk
Endowment £12.00 yearly from land left by John Wilkinson for a free school. He died in February 1720. The free school open in 1723 to educate 16 poor children 8 from each side of the Village. John Wilkinson was a Mason and owned land in Lincoln and Middle Rasen (village hall playing field). Wilkinson Drive leads to the village hall. In 1916 held a School concert for “aid relief in Belgium” Children collected eggs and donated them to the Military Hospital in Lincoln for the wounded soldiers. John Wilkinson charity and poor lands & poor meadow charity still helps local children and the school with aid or grants.
Middle Rasen Timeline
1060…Saxon settlement. Ul Grim, Ulf Godwin, Alain and Levrick
1086…Domesday book. Norman lords -Roger of Poiton, Bishop of Bayeux.
1209…Tupholme Vicar William de Rasne, built by monks of Tupholme Abbey.
1220…Drax Rector Bricius, built by Drax Priory- two churches/parishes
1332… Walter de Bolyngton and wife Lecia- one messuage and 1 oxgang of land
1533…Will of Janet Rayton, other wills in The Lincolnshire Archives.
1539…Pottery, 2 water mills, cottages and farms, 2 churches and 2 Vicars, 49 able men for war, archers and billman…. ‘Like a Rasen Fiddler’ by Mary Shipley
1563… Diocesan Population Return-Deanery of Walshcroft
East Rasen 64 households, West Rasen 50, Middle Rasen Drax 38 and Middle Rasen Tupholme 56 (94)
1597…Water mill, maybe before see above
1616…Two vicars-Thomas Tripping & Michael Jessopp
1639…Schoolmaster granted licence to teach by The Bishop
1641…Brief the Oath to Charles 1…… Just of 90 Males over 18 names were recorded
1716… William Cater, Cordwainer had an apprentice called John Riggs from Horncastle
1720…School built by John Wilkinson’s legacy, to educate 8 children from each Parish
1774…Enclosure Act: Main Landowners, Bishop of Lincoln, The Vicar, Anne Cust, Catherine James, Marmaduke Dixon, John Martin, John Gramston, John Turner
1796…A Wesleyan Society was formed in village
1803…Poor of Parish were Bequeathed £170 by Mr M Tomline, then lost by Mr Hesleden, solicitor when declared bankrupted
1820…Middle Rasen Mill in Mill Lane built
1838…Wesleyan Methodist chapel built in Church Street/Chapel Street
1839…Primitive Methodists chapel built opposite The Nag’s Head, demolished in 1956
1842…William Naylor landlord of Nag’s Head
1844…Two parishes become one- St. Peter and St. Paul’s
1856…United Methodist Free Church was built in Church Street/Chapel Street
1860…St. Peter is rebuilt, using bits from St. Paul…a decorated window, effigy of priest which appears to be 14th century
1869…Ancient stone bridge replaced.
1871…Pop.982, 7 tenements for poor families
1875…Council School built for 120 children
1885…Kelly’s directory- 17 Farmers-W Broughton, G Codd, E Ellis, J Fowler, W Fowler, W Hand, J Hargrave, S Hodson, J Major, J Marriott, J Marshall, R Naylor, W Plaskitt, J Robinson, E Sharpe, W Tomlinson and D Wood
1900… 2 butchers, 4 general stores, a post office, 2 cobblers, 1 boot makers, 1 tailor shop, windmill, watermill and 19 thatched cottages, James and Tom Lingard- farmers
1910…Brown Cow Pub and adjacent blacksmith knocked down to build new chapel
1911…Grand opening of new Wesleyan Methodists Central Chapel
1914…Village sent men to War-10 do not come back. Headmaster of School became a Special Constable
1915… School children collect over 100 eggs for Military Hospital
1925…George Lingard returned to Prospect Farm after WW1 and service in Ireland.
1932…Middle Rasen Mill, miller died. Lost its sails in 1931
1937…Kelly’s Directory Principal Landowners-Frank Naylor, Alwyn Musgrave, Fredk. Rose, and W.G. Mortimer, James Lingard farmer, Prospect Farm
1939…Sent more men to war, this time 5 do not come back.
Evacuees from Leeds and their teachers attended the school.
Air raid precautions taken at the School
1944…On 27th June Wellington III Z1592 crashed at Baner (Manor?) Farm, Middle Rasen, Lincolnshire after catching fire during a cross-country sortie, Sgt G.K. Cameron, Sgt E.A. Crowe, Sgt G.F. Marchington, Sgt G.W. Dunham, Sgt E. Bunt and Sgt R.S. Cracknell were all killed. The crew were all in the R.C.A.F.
1950’s.. Late 50’s polio epidemic…Village fairs.
1951…Population 910, 345 properties-Post office, garage, general store, electrical shop, one church, 3 chapels, Nag’s Head, sewage works, water mill, Manor House, school with 88 children, and scout hut
1960’s Middle Rasen water mill lasted worked by Fred Cottingham
1970…Village hall opened on 20th June 1970
1999…St Paul’s cemetery became God’s Acre
2000…New church clock, restored 3 bells and had 3 more added.
2005…New village signs