Public Health in Market Rasen during 1860s

Public Health in 1860s

Doctors and Surgeons

MAURICE SEARLE BARTON 1814-1889

Born in Market Rasen, his father was a Doctor, and his Grandfather was a chemist.

Dr Barton – member Royal Collage of Surgeons (England ) 1836. Lic.Soc.Apoth.London 1836

1861 directory POST OFFICE

Doctor Barton is Registrar of Births and Deaths for Market Rasen. His is in practice with Dr H E Turnour- BARTON AND TURNOUR, Surgeons in King Street.

1863 MORRIS’ DIRECTORY

Dr Barton is living in King Street, he is listed as a Surgeon, Registrar of Births and Deaths and the Practice is Surgeons to Market Rasen Union and Dispensary.

1868 KELLY’S

BARTON AND TURNOUR, Surgeons in King Street.

Doctor Barton is Registrar of Births and Deaths for Market Rasen.

Henry Edward Turnour MD, King Street

Born in 1826 in Sussex, was in Market Rasen by 1861 census, he died in 1885.

For 25 years he was Dr Barton’s partner.

Other doctors in Market Rasen during the 1860s-

Henry Adam Bray MD, Queen Street is listed in 1868 Kellys Directory.

Born in 1836 in Holbeach, died in Market Rasen in 1902.

1863 Morris’ Directory listed the following;

William Cumpstone MD, 5 Market Place, had taken over his father’s Practice in 1860 after his death. William died in April 1864 aged 27.

John Locking MD, King Street and Tealby. Born in Hull in 1828, he was in Market Rasen in 1861 (census) in The Market Place. John left Market Rasen by 1867 and died in 1869 in London.

Chemists and Druggists

1861-Post office Directory

John David and James Martin Casterton, chemist and druggist, Queen Street

Edward Enos Jevons, chemist and druggist, King Street

A Foster, Market Place, -Alfred Ream, Queen Street,- Mary Ann Pennington, druggist and grocer, Queen Street, –  A Aston, Queen Street.

1868-Post office Directory

James Martin Casterton, chemist and druggist, Queen Street

Edward Enos Jevons, chemist and druggist, King Street

Mary Ann Pennington, druggist and grocer, Queen Street, –  Alfred  Aston, Queen Street.

Market Rasen Dispensary and

Cottage Hospital

The Dispensary was open in 1856. In 1863 The Honorary Secretary was John Rhodes and it was open Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturday.

The Dispensary merged with the new Cottage Hospital at 5 Dear Street, in 1868 and it was founded by public subscription and donations from local “big wigs”. Friendly societies collected a weekly contribution which would pay sickness benefits, doctors’ fees and funeral expenses.

The Cottage Hospital had 6 beds by 1871.