There had been a Roman Catholic school in the town catering for children of that denomination for many years but a new school had been opened in 1850.
Schoolroom closed in 1905, falling numbers.
1885 Kelly’s directory states that it was built for 90 children and the average is 40. Miss Lizzie McDonald is the Mistress.
Wesleyan Methodist School
A Wesleyan Methodist school had also opened in the town in 1850 but had closed by 1853 probably because of the rivalries within Methodism that were occurring at the time.
1871 The Wesleyan Methodist open a Day School in Kilnwell Road. Now part of the C of E Primary School. Before that date the schoolrooms were on the first floor of the Chapel in Chapel Street.
1822, the C of E School was opened in Willingham Road. Buildings in the town have been reused by different religious groups and UDC.