Golfing in the Rasen area
1912: The Market Rasen Golf Club was founded in March of that year. The meeting was reported in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 14th March.
A Club for Market Rasen
A well-attended meeting was held at the White Hart Hotel, Market Rasen, on Tuesday night, under the chairmanship of Mr A M Morris, when it was decided to form a golf club for Market Rasen and district. It was stated that a course of 43 acres had been provisionally secured on Caistor Road, eminently suited for a nine- hole course, and there was plenty of room for extension to 18 holes if found necessary. It was decided to proceed with the making of the greens at once, and the following officers were elected for the ensuring year: -Chairman, Mr A M Morris; hon. Secretary, Rev. F T Smith; hon. Treasurer, Mr J R Hind; and committee, Dr H W Pank, Dr D F Torrens, C Mason, WB Jevons, J W Honneyman, TB Baty, J H Nettleship, W. Creasey, A Harris and R R Cary.
The first Chairman was Mr A M Morris.
1913: Rev. F A Smith was the secretary. It was originally a 7-hole course in Gallamore Road. Later extended to 9 holes.
1914: May Lincolnshire Echo reported on the first series of monthly medal competitions. Overall winner due to the advantage of a handicap, with a net score of 67 was Mr A Drakes. Miss Barton had a net score of 76.
1922: the club moved to Warren Farm, Legsby Road.
1934: The Journal October 17th 1934
Golf Club Purchase Market Rasen Course bought by Syndicate
At the annual meeting at the Market Rasen Golf Club, it was disclosed that the Warren course, just outside the town, regarded as one of the best of the smaller golf courses in Lincolnshire, had been purchased during the year by a syndicate of nine members. The club’s security of tenure was thus assured. A New clubhouse had been erected, providing improved facilities. The President’s cup was presented to Mr G Spencer and the Junior cup to Miss D Waite. Mr P J Timms the Captain’s Prize by defeating Mr E L Newby in the final.
1939: Grimsby Evening Telegraph October 28th 1939
Market Rasen Golf Club Improved Financial Position
Confidence that the Market Rasen Golf Club will be able to emerge successfully from any war-time difficulties was expressed at the annual meeting under the chairmanship of Mr P J Timms. The conservative financial policy pursed in past years has enabled a satisfactory position to be built up, it was stated, and a deficit which remained after the carrying out of improvements to the clubhouse had been wiped out. “Had it not been for the war,” said Mr B Gash, the secretary, “I should have been able to present a very glowing report on this occasion and in any event we may feel that we can face the future with confidence.” Membership remained almost stationary said the secretary, with a decline in full members from 87 to 83 almost balanced by an increase in country members from 116 to 119.Competition results announced were; Timms cup=Mr R E Lawrence, with Mr S Thies as runner-up. Torrens bowl-Mr F E Seely, with Mr T H Court as runner-up. Junior cup-Mr East, with Mr J Blakely as runner-up. Mixed foursomes-Miss Waite and Captain E B Broughton.Officers appointed for the ensuring year as follows; President-Mr P J Timms, Captain-Mr A P Carter, Treasurer-Mr G E Waddington, Hon. secretary-Mr B Gash, Hon. house secretary-Mr A P Carter. Committee-Mrs Spencer, Mrs Torrens, Miss C Waite, and Messrs R F Bradford, B J Cooper, F E Seely, G R Spencer and Dr D F Torrens.
1940: The Standard November 1940
Market Rasen Golf Club The Annual Meeting
Confidence in the ability of the club to overcome the difficulties which have arisen owing to the war was expressed at the annual meeting of Market Rasen Golf Club, held under the chairmanship of Mr P J Timms. Captain B Gash, hon. Secretary, said there were 104 members, compares with last year’s 119. Accounts showed a credit balance. Officers appointed were; President-Mr P J Timms, Captain-Mr G R Spencer, Secretary-Captain Mr B Gash, Treasurer-Mr G E Waddington, Hon. Club- house secretary-Mr A P Carter. Committee-Mrs Spencer, Mrs Torrens, Miss Waite, and Messrs R F Bradford, B J Cooper, T H Court, S Thies and Dr D F Torrens.Competition trophies were presented by Mrs Spencer, ladies’ Captain. The Timms cup was won by Mr F E Seely (Wragby), the Torrens bowl by Mr A P Carter, the junior cup by Mrs Torrens, a new trophy, presented by Mr E Abraham for competition among women members, by Mrs Spencer, and the captain’s prise by Mr J Goodwin (Louth).
1943: Lincolnshire Echo November 20th 1943
Market Rasen-Golf club meeting showed there was still a balance in hand. Membership was over 70. No competitions were played during the year. Officers were appointed as follow; President- Dr D F Torrens, Captain- Mr J C Walker, Treasure- Mr R F Bradford, secretary- Mr S Thies, committee- Mrs Shagog, Mrs Spencer, Mrs Torrens, Miss Waite, and Messrs H V Beckett, V J Cooper, T H Court, B Gash and G R Spencer.
1944: Market Rasen Mail 1944
Market Rasen Golf Club Possible 18 holes course after the war. The Club membership was now 74. More members are expected after the war.
Market Rasen Mail 1944
1945: Lincolnshire Echo October 23rd 1945
Golf Club’s plans
A vigorous policy of post-war development was decided upon at the annual meeting of Market Rasen Golf Club, held under the chairmanship of Dr D F Torrens. As a first step Mr J S Anderson, of Carnoustie, was formally appointed as assistant professional. Appointments made were; President- Dr D F Torrens, Captain- Mr J C Walker, Treasure- Mr R F Bradford, Joint secretaries-Mr Bevans and Mr R F Bradford, Club house secretary-Mr S Thies, Ladies’ captain-Mrs Spencer. Committee- Mrs Shagog, Dr Shegog, Mrs Spencer, and Messrs H V Beckett, V J Cooper, T H Court and F W Selly. Thanks were accorded to Mr Thies for his work for his work as secretary during the difficult war years, and the members expressed regret that he felt unable to continue in this office.
1950s: Market Rasen golf club and other clubs in the area held tournaments with each other- The Old Briggensians Golf Society (OBGS) for example.
1963: Lincolnshire Veteran Ladies Golf Association (L.V.L.G.A) was formed in Woodhall Spa.
1965: Market Rasen Official Guide 1965
The excellent 9-hole golf course is within easy walking distance of the town. It has a comfortable club room and visiting players are always welcome.
John Wilson joined in 1960s and the clubhouse was a Hut.
1968: It was a 12-hole course when John Henson joined straight from school as a trainee groundsman. Work on a new clubhouse and facilities block had started.
1970: The club bought some land from the forestry commission for three more holes to make it up to 12 holes.
Apparently, you had to play the 16th, 17th and 18th holes again in competitions. Sometime in the late 70’s more land was purchased for 6 more holes.
1970s: The course became 18 holes, date to be confirmed. The OBGS often played against Old De Astonians and Lincoln Old Boys, home and was matches, not necessarily at the Market Rasen Golf Club.
1983: A photograph of the men’s first team when they won North Lincolnshire League, this was the year Mr John Wilson was Club Captain, holding the plate.
1986: report on the golf club by De Aston school.
The Golf Club
Set amongst tall pines and elders and lying just one mile out of Market Rasen, the Golf Club provides a secluded and yet convenient surround to play golf on a sunny morning or afternoon. To become a member of the Club you have to be proposed and seconded. There is a £115 entrance fee as well as £151.80. For non-members the cost is £7 for a round and £8 for the day. If with a member, the price is £4 for the day. Non-members must be with a member to play at the weekends. A practice ground is available for starters. There is also a shop which provides clothes, clubs, balls, gloves, and just about everything that anyone would require to partake in a game of golf. They even have golf clubs available for hire.
1989-1993: There were major building and refurbishment projects on the original farm buildings.
1990: Market Rasen Racecourse Golf Course opened. It was a 9- hole course (pitch and putt) designed by E Stanton.
1990: Town Guide states that the Golf Club had stopped hiring out clubs.
1995: The Ladies Captain was Mrs Hilda Mortimer of Tealby, she was 70 years old.
2001: The Environment agency did a deal to buy the land adjacent to the race course to improve the town’s flood defences and the Golf Club lost three holes, but were able to buy more land from the forestry.
The holes 15,16 & 17 were replaced by a new better quality of hole. The course was now 6239 yds.
2007: John Henson was now Head greenskeeper with a four-man greenkeeping team. The Club had over 600 members.
2012: The club celebrated it’s Centenary. There were several “Opens” during the Summer.
Since there has been more refurbishments to the clubhouse and the driving range has been added. There is an excellent coaching programme and are members have increased through the programme and the club has strong ties to the town.
2016: Market Rasen Golf Club hosted the L.V.L.G.A 2nd team against Northamptonshire Ladies, unfortunately the Lincolnshire Ladies lost. The Northamptonshire Ladies had two international players on their team.
2017: National Club Golfer reported that Market Rasen Golf Club was the 5th Best in Lincolnshire.
2019: The Mortimer Trophy was presented to Jackie Parker not long after Mrs H Mortimer had died aged 94.
2020: due to COVID-19 pandemic the Club closed, then reopened under very strict rules and then in January 2021 closed again.
109 years of history of golfing in Market Rasen.